A mom called with mixed feelings. She always did mother's day with her mom. Now she is gone. She used to complain that she never got HER DAY. Now she has it and isn't sure what to do with it. Her children are out of the house. She wants to change being stuck about having fun.
This mom is an over-worker in order to feel satisfied. No judgment about that choice. Her sense of humor is a giggle... "too many hats I wear got crushed by the elephant in the room."
Ready or not here she goes. Here is her plan:
1. Make a plan once a week that has no value, like exercise, even though fun, and do something pure fun. Close your eyes and ask five times, WHAT MIGHT BE FUN FOR ME? Listen and see if any images pop.
2. Write a letter to herself, DEAR..... You are a great mom because you.... You don't miss being mom today because you don't have to.... You don't miss being the daughter today because....
Just quick notes, not complete sentences. Thoughts to ponder or toss.
3. Practice loving the life you have by paying attention to your life in a sweet mirror. WOW, I HAVE SUCH A GREAT LIFE BECAUSE.....
4. Honoring MOTHER ... what does that mean to you in the family and in the bigger picture of life.
5. What has mothering taught you about yourself? What surprised you?
6. Down the road, what might you be doing for YOU?
Celebrate and pass it on,
Featured in TIME MAGAZINE, NY TIMES, LIFETIME RADIO FOR WOMEN, LA TIMES, USA TODAY, WASHINGTON POST, BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS
Change is inevitable. Get Ready. Get Support. Life transitions need a hand to hold.